Stuffed tomatoes (3 servings)
• 6 tomatoes
• Salt & Pepper to taste
• 4 tbsp Olive oil
• 1 Onion, finely chopped
• 150g White Rice
• 2.5 cups Water
• 2.5 tsp Garlic powder
• 4 tbsp Mint, chopped
• 2 Green Onion/Spring Onion stalks, chopped
• A bunch of Parsley, chopped
• Wash the tomatoes and with a sharp knife, cut a lid from the bottom, not from the stem. It’s better to cut this side as it can hold more stuffing.
• With a spoon, carefully scoop out the flesh of the tomatoes without damaging the outer skin as the stuffing will fall out during baking.
• Put the flesh of the tomatoes into a bowl and finely chop bigger pieces
• Place tomatoes on a baking tray, stem side down.
• Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper and drizzle them with half of the olive oil
• Preheat the oven to 350ο F
• Heat the remaining olive oil in a pot over medium heat.
• Sauté the Onion for 2-3 minutes until it softens.
• Add and sauté the Rice for 1 more minute.
• Add the Tomato flesh to deglaze the pot.
• Add the water, garlic, salt and pepper.
• Simmer for 10 minutes until the rice softens and absorbs the water.
• Remove the pot from the heat and add the Green Onion, Mint and Parsley.
• Mix the stuffing with a spoon and fill into the Tomatoes.
• If you have any leftover stuffing, do not discard it, pour it also into the pan.
• Cover the baking pan with aluminum foil.
• Bake in the oven for 1 hour until the tomatoes are tender.
• Remove the aluminum foil and bake for 15 more minutes until the stuffed tomatoes are nicely golden.
• Remove the baking pan from the oven and serve with a drizzle of Olive Oil and chopped Mint.